Saturday, February 7, 2009

35mm Project: "God Speed, John Glenn"

So it's about that time to unveil the secret shroud of mystery that's been surrounding my idea for my final project. [NOTE: this is NOT the side project I mentioned earlier - that one is a professional gig] Originally my intention was to write a script about the Constellation Program that NASA's been working on re manned missions back to the moon and eventually Mars. However, I ran into a small problem along the way - and that was I got way too complex with the story. Not so much in the storyline itself, but the details to explain things kept getting to the point that it became absurd to try and write a 15-page script on it.

So instead I have shifted course yet again, and after a week spent trying to sort through various ideas, I finally stumbled upon what I am going to stick with - and it will work too. The screenplay is entitled, "God Speed, John Glenn" based on the immortalized words of Scott Carpenter as Glenn's rocket hurled itself into the cosmos.

The whole story is going to revolve around the problems that occurred to Friendship 7 through the eyes of Mercury Control during John Glenn's orbital flight. The main issue of course will deal with "Segment 51" but there are several other stumbling blocks that will come into play - like Chris Kraft fighting with the engineers, Alan Shepard expressing his angst about keeping the truth of the situation from Glenn, and the climatic ending in which Glenn returned safely to Earth - a hero.

As of right now I've begun writing this script, although changes will definitely be made over the course of the next 2-months. I don't believe I have to pitch the script until late April, but I am already putting together a crew to help me on this should my script be chosen among all of ours. Regardless of whether we go with my idea or not - I'm really excited to begin work on this and see where life takes me next!

No comments: