Monday, May 4, 2009

Green Light to GSJG

It's been over a year since a random idea crossed my mind regarding a script for final project. It was simple. The idea was to tell a story about a miraculous NASA mission told through the controllers in the Mission Control room. Originally, the story was to take place in the future around the time the Constellation program was taking off. Yet, in the end something didn't work out and the story was changed to encompass the drama that unfolded during the perilous moments in Mercury Control during John Glenn's famed Friendship 7 mission.

Earlier this morning I received the news that I had been waiting over a year to hear. My story, my idea, my concept ("God Speed, John Glenn) was liked well enough to produce. I honestly don't know what to make of it all. It should be the happiest moment I have had since I've been in Florida, yet, after contemplating it for so long there isn't anything to celebrate...and sadly for the first time since September I feel almost empty, and worse I really don't know what to make of it all...

I don't know what it is, but now that I have achieved the goal that I've craved for over a year it's almost as if I cannot grasp the importance of this moment. This is the first real step toward becoming what I've dreamt of - yet, when I look at it, I sit here and ask myself...has the sacrifice been worth it?

I guess more than anything, today and the past week have been a period of reflection for me. At one end of this journey, I am quickly achieving goals that I set out for when I left Arizona (the ones that are taped to the back of my door)...yet, at the other end is the realization that I sacrificed everything I had in Arizona to get to this stage.

My friend Jake told me earlier today, and maybe he said it best, 'no one understands what we are going through, except us. And although we are thousands of miles from our best friends and our families - you'll always have us...and we'll always be here for you.'

I cannot express how hard this journey has been - and although I am not entirely alone - having to pick up the pieces from those who impacted my life the most is never an easy task. Yet, as I sit here collecting my thoughts and gearing up for what is to become the greatest and hardest couple months of my professional life I cannot help but think of those who helped me get here. And regardless of whether they are my family, my friends or even a part of my life, everything that happens in the coming months is for you. Because without your support, love or belief in me - all of this would be for not.

I think it's worth noting too, and in the end my core group of friends and I triumphed in getting two (2) of the three (3) scripts green-lit for final project. I was slated to direct both, but I am sticking with my script and will tell it the way I intend it to be seen.

For all of you out there. This is for you -

No comments: