Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reassurances

I've been in Florida for the better part of the last year and a half in pursuit of something that's a complete crap shoot. Nothing in film is guaranteed and everything we're fighting to achieve is determined by many factors (of which the most recurring seems to be luck). I'm honestly scarred witless as to what's going to happen next, but I'm ready to take that step.

Sometimes I have my moments were I allow doubt to creep in and let my insecurities dominate my mindset. But, yesterday one of my closest friends said something that completely changed my outlook on this future that I'm determined to carve out of nothing.

He was having a discussion about his future with his girlfriend (who also goes to school with us) and they were trying to figure out what their next move should be together after graduation. He told me his girlfriend, Jess, said that they should stay close to me. Her reasoning was that she felt I was going to approach the kind of success that we all dream about. My friend, Jake, said he agreed.

I honestly don't know how to react to their comments because of what it means to me. That kind of reassurance cannot be described, especially since it comes from my peers (who are leaders themselves) who hold me in that regard. Even last month someone close to me looked me in the eye while we were lying down and told me that she knew I would be great, too. I cannot express how important those words are - but how do you respond to that? The answer is I don't know...

What I can say is I didn't come all this way and sacrifice so much to fail. Their words only reinforce the notion that I am on the right path - but the real work is to come. As I look at the road ahead I know there will be a lot of hardships, but my promise is that I will never quit, and I will never give up on this dream. I haven't come all this way to stop now...

No comments: