Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Focus.

Often times I think we are sidetracked by things we wish we had. Apparitions of our inner most desires create illusions that consumes us, which we obsess over and believe will make our lives better. But more often than not, we fall into the trap of focusing too much on that which we cannot have instead of what really should be looking at.

Lately I've been guilty on all accounts. Maybe it's my active imagination creating fantasies of how I want things to be, or maybe it's me. plain and simple.

Earlier today someone said something that I inadvertently overheard. It was directed at me, and while the content of the comment was meant to entertain, it reminded me of a similar position I was in a few years ago. It made me realize that right now, despite being solely focused on jump starting a career, I am not mentally there right now. This industry, despite its luster, can be one of the harshest. It's one of the few industries that is so globally influential that it supports an entire separate multi-billion dollar industry designed to criticize, mock and examine it. In short, one has to be completely focused if you are to survive, let alone make a career out of it.

With this realization, I understand that starting tomorrow things need to change. I need to change. Now is a time to focus. To be crystal clear with my objectives. Maintain an order of discipline. But, of course keep a sense of humor :)

No comments: