Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Running on E

So lately life's been stealing away my precious hours of sleep. The more it happens, the more I'm finding that those rare moments I can spend tucked next to my pillow in the sanctity of my bed are something to cherish. I never thought about it until lately, but how we sleep is about as close to the reality of a person as we can get. While people have their theories about clothing, music or hobbies opening a portal into a person's soul - I'm starting to notice more that how I sleep reflects where I'm at in life and how I'm handling it.

Right now, I guess you could say that because of my lack of sleep that something must be wrong. Maybe it is, but maybe it isn't. Lately, I know I have lost more than a few hours of sleep because I lie awake at night unable to turn off my brain from indulging in personal self-reflection - but lately, too, I've been working intently on a project that's now consumed the bane of my current existence.

Whatever it is, I find that sleep is the only way that life can truly strip us of our walls and armor and open us up to the world around us - defenseless and naked. And as we lie there habituating in our own world, those barriers that once existed expose us for who we really are (as lovers, frauds, saints or demons) and truly open us up to those in our life who are lucky enough to share in it or embrace it.

And as we take for granted those precious fleeting moments, try to reflect on how pure it all is. Because before you know it, the alarm clock will be roaring as another day is about to begin...

No comments: