Sunday, June 7, 2009

GSJG_Day 2

In the past two days, we've shot around 54 shots out of around 84. We're well ahead of pace, and for the most part we've knocked out most of our dialogue. The first question everyone always asks me is, 'how do you think it's going?' and my response is simply, 'how do you think it is?'

To this point, everything honestly has been going very well. We have some good shots and we have some not so good ones. There are things I would like to change (if I had the opportunity to do it again) but for the most part I'm really happy with what we have done to this point. I don't know how the movie is going to cut together since we're a long ways from the finish, but what I can say is when your instructor/producer looks at you as says point blankly, 'you're a talented effer' while your crew is simultaneously glowing about how some of the shots look, it only makes you feel like you're doing your job right.

I don't mean to throw that in there because I'm trying to be arrogant, but in all truthfulness I don't feel as if this movie has changed me one bit. The thing I find most interesting is that I could really care less what format we shoot this story on, because in the end I'm only focused on trying to tell a story as complete as I can. And in the end, I'm starting to know that this is the only thing that matters. It's nice to hear people say good things about you, but does it matter? No it doesn't, because it's not going to make me a better storyteller and it's sure as hell not going to make me a better director.

Right now the running on set joke is of me standing next to camera with the video assist working with the camera operator on his framing. I know I've already exceeded most director's I've seen (at least at Full Sail) in terms of working with talent (the actors), and that's no different here. Despite the fact I am next to the camera, I have to be next to it because I want to be directly next to my actors. I want to be within a whispers inch and I want the immediacy of being able to change things on the fly - not from 40-feet away. Also, I think a director and actor relationship has to be one of trust and the more I'm with them the more they'll open up and give me. I've noticed this with some of our actors and in return they're taking their performances to levels which I don't think they normally open up to. That's a risk they're willing to take because they know and trust that I am going to make them look good.

That's why, when people ask me how do I think it's going I respond the way I do. Because if my crew can feel the performance from the giant video-assist on the far side of the soundstage then I am doing my job. This movie is bigger than all of us, but it is OUR film. I want everyone associated to look back on it (regardless of whether it turns out good or bad) and smile and reminisce about the experience we had and the place that started it all for us.

However for now, for those of you who want to know how I feel it is going. I don't think there is anything from this film that won't make the group proud. I know the shots look great, I know the framing will be decent at worst, and I know that our actors are giving us decent and great performances. In short, it's going better than I ever than I ever would have thought. But we're still only at the halfway point.

Now's not the time to get complacent, and despite the fact that things have been going well, we cannot allow ourselves to get caught up in that. It's not how we start but how we finish that counts. I just hope that we can maintain this effort...but seeing my crew in action I know we'll be all right! :)

Now, it's time to rest up. Two days down, two more to go!

Adios!!!

No comments: