Tuesday, June 30, 2009

John Glenn.

Despite my recent issues regarding graduation, post-graduation and a reflectance on everything lately, I have completely different news of something that blows me away. Again. Whether or not if I'm lucky, really that good or in the right place at the right time, it appears that my dream of telling John Glenn's story has now reached another level. I thought everything had climaxed with the completion of the film and the reviews I received from my classmates as well as my teachers, but now comes the most incredible news yet.

During the course of creating this story I have been given the privilege of meeting, talking to and working with some of the most awe inspiring people of the 20th Century. I've been given access to places that nobody else is normally given access to, and have had the archival vaults opened to assist us in this project. But now comes the news that John Glenn himself has now heard of our project and has given us his approval for telling this story...

I honestly do not know how to react to this news. I'm so blown away by this news that I cannot begin to describe what it means to me. I don't know if I possess the talent to move people, entertain them they way I envision or create a decent product. But this is something that is on a totally different level. Starting with David Oliver and continuing until now, I'm finding that my ambition and drive for stories keeps bringing my dreams to greater and greater heights. And although I do not get starstruck very easily, it completely renders me speechless when the projects I work on continue to introduce me to and connect me with the people they do.

For example, John Glenn. This is the first American to orbit the Earth. A man whose mission was so vitally important to our country and sense of national patriotism, that everyone across the nation literally stopped working for the duration of his mission because of its importance. This isn't just your average astronaut or Senator for that matter. This is an American icon, someone whose prominence in American history rivals that of JFK, Coca-Cola and Chevrolet. How does it get bigger than this (or better for that matter)? In theory, I am just another filmmaker, a student filmmaker. And yet, because of the scope of this project, my passion for this story and having the right connections we are not just telling this story. It is now being brought to life with the truth and knowledge that the man whose name accompanies the title has given us his blessing.

It doesn't get better than this.

No comments: