Tuesday, June 2, 2009

GSJG_Double Lesson: Breathe

Soooo, I've got a lot on my mind tonight. Just going through the shot list, script, dialogue timings from the rehearsals (thanks Script Supe) and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Anyway, Lesson Two for today: Breathe (aka Kobe)

This one is a little hard to explain, but stick with me here. When I played tennis (yeah, 'back in the day') I used to play my best when I played within myself and let my talent come out of me in controlled bursts, and when I played out of my mind it was my 'Kobe' level. In other words, when I let things come to me naturally instead of pressing the point or forcing the issue I felt as if there was not a better tennis player in the world. period.

I came up with this term because it's simplicity. If you watch Kobe Bryant play basketball you know he's talented. It's obvious and it's duly noted too when it seems the majority of the time your shocked when he doesn't score. But, when he dominates and flips that switch to take over games you'll notice one thing. He doesn't force anything. it just comes to him naturally. Hence the term, 'Kobe'.

I think that translates over to film, too. I know when I'm on set I get excited and I let my emotions flow generously. Often times leaving myself exhausted at the end of the day and prone to missing things. I've learned in the past few weeks that as the person responsible for the production that's seen, I cannot let myself be prone to missing anything. at all.

You'll often times here of directors who do take after take after take (think of David Fincher) and how hard they are to work with and so forth. But after seeing them work on DVD extras, listening to stories and reading about them as much as I can see why Fincher, among others, is so hard on his cast and crew. It's not that I sympathize with him or chose his approach over others, it's because I can understand what he's thinking and how everything is literally just as important as the next. He can see that and he accounts for that.

I know I'm no where near the level of genius that Fincher is. But, that's something that's learned in time. For now, instead of aspiring to his level I have to experience things one take at a time and push myself to learn and see these things. I know I'm a long ways from where I will be one day, but as long as I take into account the details and the small things every step of the way, I know I'll be progressively getting there. But for the time being, I need to remember to breathe and allow my talent (assuming there is any) to carry me forward. If I keep applying myself and adding the new things I learn/see along the way, I'll only get better and maybe one day someone will say, 'Keeling'.

On second thought, maybe not. It just doesn't have the same ring, haha...

No comments: