Wednesday, November 19, 2008

12.85 - Crossing The Finish

I'm writing this as I sit in lab exporting our project for class and I'm reflecting on a few of the things that made this experience some kind of amazing.

From the start I knew David Oliver was who I wanted to do this project on. His career is a culmination of a string of disappointments accentuated by his refusal to quit when others thought he should. As he told me, four years ago if people thought he'd be in the position that he is in today he would have called them crazy. Yet, as his hard work paved the wave for his success, which rivals legends of the sport, he has earned the right to be considered an all-time great.

I wish I could upload the video for those of you to watch - but I will not do so until after David has seen it first. In the past two-weeks I don't think I've lost as much sleep over something that means as much to me as this has. It's been my inspiration, my motivation but most of all my salvation.

As I sit here and watch this project render, frame by frame, I look on at it with a sense of pride...but also with a sense of loss. As I watch on I cannot help but feel the effects as the one constant in my life over the past three months is being finalized before me. When I leave lab today, I know there will not be anything more to look forward to as this gift of an experience, that's been my guiding light through some of the hardest months of my life, reaches its conclusion.

Tomorrow a new dream will be my focus - but for now on today of all days - I'll sit here reflect upon what was and is one of the defining experiences of my career.

Thank you David Oliver.

No comments: